In today’s modern road construction industry, there are three ways to make bitumen suitable for road construction projects:
- To warm up bitumen to between 100º and 200°C;
- To blend it with solvents (asphalt paint); or
- To make bitumen emulsion.
- Anionic; and
- Medium-breaking; and
The physicochemical performance characteristics of bitumen emulsion and dispersion degree are determined by the properties and amount of bitumen, emulsifier, and acid.
Specialists consider that it is the emulsifier that determines the quality of bitumen emulsion. There are a lot of chemical compounds that can be used to emulsify bitumen. But, only some substances have found practical use because of rigid technical and economic regulations.
In recent times, cationic bitumen emulsions have become preferable since they are more unique and make binding material adhesive when reacting with the acid materials and other natural elements. As compared to hot bitumen, bitumen emulsions have a wide spectrum of benefits that include:
- Significant bitumen savings (up to 30-50%);
- Energy conservation (up to 25-40%) since there is no need to warm up bitumen emulsion before application;
- Compatibility with wet solid material;
- Good adhesion of bitumen to roadbed;
- Fire safety; and
- Air-gap distance between the rotor and the stator (may be adjustable or constant);
- Rotor speed. This parameter depends on dimensions and power of the mill; and
- Design of the mill.
GlobeCore bitumen emulsion units allow for production of high-quality bitumen emulsions.
The GlobeCore UVB-1 bitumen emulsion units have gained widespread acceptance in many parts of the world. Bitumen emulsions, produced by GlobeCore equipment, can be applied to carry out a wide spectrum of road construction projects such as:
- Tack coating;
- Ground stabilization;
- Crush-stone grouting;
- Sludge compaction;
- Dust laying;
- Minor road works;
- Cold recycling;
- Pothole repair;
- Production of cold bitumen-concrete mixtures, paving type Slurry; and
- Coarse surface treatment, paving type Chip Seal.